27.12.09

Clarity Of Mind ~ A Result of Lack Of Sleep?

It's at night, when perhaps we should be dreaming, that the mind is most clear, that we are most able to hold all our life in the palm of our skull.  I don't know if anyone has ever pointed out that great attraction of insomnia before, but it is so; the night seems to release a little more of our vast backward inheritance of instincts and feelings; as with the dawn, a little honey is allowed to ooze between the lips of the sandwich, a little of the stuff of dreams to drip into the waking mind.  I wish I believed, as J. B. Priestley did, that consciousness continues after disembodiment or death, not forever, but for a long while.  Three score years and ten is such a stingy ration of time, when there is so much time around.  Perhaps that's why some of us are insomniacs; night is so precious that it would be pusillanimous to sleep all through it!  A "bad night" is not always a bad thing.  ~Brian W. Aldiss

A unique interpretation, of the idea of the night as a time to think, of the late moments, those moments of absolute clarity without distraction. Though I understand there is importance in sleep, I often wonder what thoughts may be if I close my eyes and not think about it.

Often it is in those late hours, those times of silence throughout the hat that true creativity flows so freely, as a writer, and an explorer of the potential within me I recognize why sometimes I do not sleep. It is simply because, it is in the silence, and the absolute opportunity to truly reflect that sleep seems like a dream in and of itself.

Even thus last night, and two nights more I lay,
And could not win thee, Sleep, by any stealth:
So do not let me wear to-night away.
Without thee what is all the morning's wealth?
Come, blessed barrier between day and day,
Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!
~William Wordsworth, "To Sleep"

Posted via web from Home Of Knatchwa - Posterously Speaking

No comments:

Contributors